A Fast & Easy Guide to Declutter Your Home
Do you feel overwhelmed by the clutter in your home? Have you been wanting to declutter but don’t know where to start? Here are 25 simple and effective steps to help you remove the clutter from your life and get you on the path to an organized and stress-free home.
1. Start with a plan. Set aside a few hours to plan out how you want to tackle the clutter.
2. Make three piles: keep, donate, and trash. As you go through your items, decide which pile each item goes in.
3. Get rid of anything you haven’t used in a year. If you haven’t used it in a year, you probably don’t need it.
4. Have a designated spot for everything. Make sure each item has a home that it goes in once you’re finished using it.
5. Invest in storage containers. Baskets, bins, and containers can help you store items in an organized and neat manner.
6. Don’t be afraid to get rid of books and magazines. If you have more than one copy, it’s time to part with the extras.
7. Don’t keep items “just in case”. If you haven’t used it yet, you probably won’t use it in the future.
8. Don’t keep items out of guilt. If you haven’t used something in years, it’s time to let it go.
9. Get rid of duplicates. If you have two of the same item, get rid of one.
10. Digitize documents. Instead of keeping paperwork, scan and store your important documents electronically.
11. Donate unwanted items. Donating items you don’t need or use can help others in need.
12. Purge your closet. Go through your clothes and donate items you haven’t worn in a year.
13. Get rid of old electronics. If you have old electronics you’re not using, sell or recycle them.
14. Toss expired items. Go through your fridge, pantry, and bathroom to get rid of items that are expired or no longer needed.
15. Store items in categories. Group items together by type so that you can easily find them when you need them.
16. Don’t keep broken items. If it’s broken, it’s time to get rid of it.
17. Store items off the floor. Use shelves and storage containers to keep items off the floor and out of the way.
18. Have a donation box. Place a box in your home to collect items that you no longer need.
19. Get rid of gifts you don’t like. If you get a gift you don’t like, donate it or regift it.
20. Recycle old toys. If your kids have outgrown their toys, donate or recycle them.
21. Don’t hang on to outdated items. If an item is outdated, it’s time to let it go.
22. Have a “no buy” policy. Before buying an item, ask yourself if you really need it.
23. Sort through your paperwork. Go through your paperwork and get rid of anything that’s out of date.
24. Don’t save gift bags and boxes. If you’re keeping gift bags and boxes, it’s time to get rid of them.
25. Declutter regularly. Set aside a few hours each month to declutter and get rid of items you no longer need.
Follow these 25 steps and you’ll be on your way to a stress-free and clutter-free home and if all else fails call Trash Can Willys Junk Removal Service to help remove and haul away all the junk on your property for a property cleanout that you will enjoy for years to come!